What does your mind populate with when you think of patriotic tablescapes? Do you naturally gravitate towards simple tables with little flags and a few candles? Or how about something with red, white, and blue flowers and a touch of burlap?
You can probably guess where my mind goes….somewhere grand and shimmery!
For this month’s entry to my 2017 tablescape challenge I’ve created a patriotic ribbon tablescape. This table decor features a larger centerpiece (or is this more of a runner?) that is surprisingly easy to make. The biggest hurdle with this tablescape, is just the time needed to create this red, white, and blue table swag, with just a hint of gold!
Normally patriotic celebrations tend to be of a more casual nature with very relaxed elements. Lots of checkered tablecloths, burlap, and flag accents and bunting. I wanted to break out of that traditional mold and try something a bit more formal and elegant. The goal was to create something that could be used indoors at a dinner party, or possibly even at a memorial gala or troop’s thank you dinner. I think it’s the swag like movement that these billowy ribbons create that elevates this patriotic table decor, and makes it looks like a million bucks!
Speaking of money, let’s see where this fancy red, white, and blue table decor ranked cost-wise:
- White poly tablecloth – used many times, most recently on my Unicorn inspired tablescape.
- White with red polka dot square place mats – were only $1.20 each at Bed Bath and Beyond in a post-Christmas Clearance
- Red glitter plastic rectangle plates – a set of 10 plates was only $1.50 at my local Goodwill (they were 50% off for being the color of the week!)
- Creamy white with gold trim plates – a set of 8 plates was only $2.50 at my local Goodwill (they were 50% off for being the color of the week!)
- Red napkins – had on hand
- Silver and gold metal textured napkin rings – a set of 4 was $2 at my local thrift store
- Red fabric swag – was $3 at my local Goodwill
- Thin red ribbon (to tie swags) – had on hand
- Gold mesh ribbon – had on hand from holiday season
- Red, white, and blue deco mesh ribbon – was $4.79 at Hobby Lobby
- LED candle centerpiece – had on hand from THIS spring tablescape. The LED candles I used (and LOVE) are from Amazon
That brings our total to about $19!
I’ve said it before, and I’ll keep on saying it: it’s all about working with what you have, and what you can find at your local thrift store. Be smart with your purchases, and buy things, like my white tablecloth or LED candles, that can be used again and again.
To help show you exactly how I created this red, white, and blue, ribbon based table decor, I’ve put together a tutorial to walk you through step by step:
Make sure to pin this for future celebrations including Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day!
And if you’d like to see how the candle element of this centerpiece was made, just watch this quick video I shared in an earlier tablescape: