Are you enjoying the unicorn trend taking over the internet this year? If not, I wonder if I can change your mind with my “Unicorn Dream” inspired table decor.
As you know, my 2017 tablescape challenge to create at least 1 beautiful home table decor design a month has been full of DIY projects. This month’s unicorn dream table decor involves 2 exciting DIYs: an easy unicorn centerpiece, and marbled rainbow placemats. Both video tutorials are shared on my YouTube channel.
For this colorful tablescape, I was trying to channel all the things I love about unicorn parties, and figured out a way to make them more appropriate for a more sophisticated crowd. Or at least a crowd that doesn’t need to hold anyone’s hand while crossing the street. What really stood out to me was the opportunity for creative color potential. From the unicorn Frappuccino to unicorn poop cookies, colors are key to making a unicorn party successful. But you know what? When I started scrolling through Pinterest, I noticed that there really weren’t that many unicorn centerpieces out there. Certainly not ones that were cost effective and easy to DIY, let alone friendly for adult celebrations. So with that in mind, I create this “Unicorn Dream” themed table decor and centerpiece for adults (and kids!):
It IS possible to have a colorful rainbow theme and still be classy! Don’t you love these DIY rainbow marbled placemats? They were so easy to make! After making some for my modern jewel toned tablescape inspired by one of my acrylic pouring paintings, I decided this technique would also lend itself to this colorful unicorn challenge.
Watch the video on how these were made:
When the placemats had completely dried, I couldn’t believe what a great match they were to this silverware set that I have had for a few years. Talk about meant to be!
The show stopper for this table is the unique rainbow colored, unicorn inspired centerpiece. Would you believe me if I told you that the majority of the items used in this centerpiece were from the thrift store, and the most expensive element of it was the floating candles? It’s true!
Watch how easy it is to make this centerpiece:
Even though I had originally envisioned this unicorn party table to be used for a day time event (how unique would this be as a theme for a fundraiser luncheon?), I was absolutely blown away by the depth of colors and reflections that were created at night. Here are a few pictures I snapped after the sun was down:
That centerpiece is breathtaking at night with all the flickering candlelight on the magical rainbow spectrum.
I’ll be sharing a video overview soon, talking you through the whole table design, as well as a short video of how I made these colorful rainbow placemats. If you’d like to see how I made a different version of these placemats, using the same technique used for this unicorn table decor, than this video will be super helpful:
Looking for even MORE unicorn party ideas? Check out my sister site, Unique Pastiche Events, where I’ve shared two fun versions of a unicorn themed party.
Let’s talk money:
It’s important to me to share with you exactly where I found all the elements for this unicorn tablescape and centerpiece design, so that you can see just how easy it is to recreate this for your own event. Here’s where I found all of the elements for this unicorn themed party tablecape and decor:
- White tablecloth – had on hand from my modern tablescape from January and purchased from Amazon
- Rainbow silverware – already owned
- Green napkins – a set of 6 napkins were $2 at my local Salvation Army
- Placemat bases –canvas panels on sale for about $7.50 for a set of 5 at Hobby Lobby
- Acrylic paint in assorted colors for placemats – had on hand
- Clear water gel beads – 2 packs from Ebay for $1 each (or you can pick them up from Amazon if you can’t wait for an Ebay delivery)
- Colorful cordial glasses – already owned
- Glass cylinder vases – purchased 5 at Dollar Tree for $1 each (if they aren’t in stock or you can’t wait, these cylinder vases will do the trick)
- Clear glass pedestal candle holders – $1 each at my local Goodwill
- Tall pink candle pedestal – $2 at my local Goodwill (was 50% off for being the color of the week!)
- Floating candles – I had to buy 2 boxes of 4 candles at my local craft store for $4.80 each
- Iridescent cellophane wrap – I bought a partial roll from a thrift store for $0.25, but you can buy it at your local craft store, or if you are in a hurry, on Amazon.
While I HIGHLY recommend sourcing as many items as you can locally from your thrift stores, and craft stores as needed, I realize that sometimes that’s just not possible at the 11th hour. So to help get you what you need quickly, here’s a few items that can help get your look created in no time:
- Iridescent cellophane wrap
- White floor length poly tablecloth
- Glass cylinder vases
- Floating candles
- Clear water gel beads
That brings our total for this unicorn themed party table to about $30!
As I always say, think about what you have already, and for what you don’t have: take periodic trips through local thrift shops. You’d be amazed at what you can find. It’s all about being there at the right time to find the perfect score. Can’t say that I’m thrilled that nearly a third of the costs devoted to the candles, but I bet I can get at least another use out of them. I debated using mini LED lights that could be submersed in water, but they were a bit more expensive per piece. Maybe next time!
Don’t forget to pin these for future reference:
What do you think about hosting a unicorn themed party or wedding for adults?