Jungle for two, anyone? This thrift store based tablescape is just the right amount of wild and fun for your next rendezvous in!
Inspiration can come from anything, and everything. But this week, it was my love of leopard print and my cheapness that kicked into overdrive. Picture this – you are walking through the thrift store on a busy Saturday afternoon, and as luck would have it, a leopard and tiger print dinnerware plates and bowls cross your path. And you look at them, check the price, and BAM! For $2.50 you can get TWO dinner plates AND two bowls. Yeah, that’s right. Four pieces of dinnerware for $2.50.
Now, if this isn’t considered a lucky find, I don’t know what is. I got lucky, no doubt about it. The set was originally listed at $5, but because it was the color of the week, it was an additional 50% off. That was all the signs I needed to scoop up this bargain and start thinking about what I want to create around it.
As it were, I had upcycled a small vase I had picked up from the thrift store, after I created my blue, gold, and black fluid acrylic pour vase. I just hate wasting paint, so freaking expensive, so whenever I can, I try and use it before I lose it. The colors from the new black and gold vase seemed to match up perfectly with this new exotic print dinnerware set, so it was on to decide how to arrange them after that.
Country and rustic chic styles are not my thing. I like giving things more of a modern feel to them. But you know what? It’s kind of hard to come up with a glamorous jungle table decor on the cheap! With a little sourcing and waiting for a few key items to pop up in local thrift stores, I am proud to share my Jungle for Two table decor with DIY marble vase in black and gold:
So let’s talk about how much this wild tablescape cost to design:
- Black polyester tablecloth – had on hand from my Modern Marble Tablescape in Gold, Black, and Light Blue
- Black polyester napkins – another one I had on hand. These were previously used in my Glamourous Gothic Red and Black tablescape, originally designed for a unique Valentine’s Day
- LED candles – 2 sets used – I have tons of these in my homes, they are the only ones I recommend because they last so long! You can find them on Amazon
- Black vase (tall piece under the DIY marble vase) – had on hand from family
- Black and gold marble bubble bowl – paints were left over from THIS vase upcycle, and the bowl was $2 from Goodwill
- Tiger and leopard print dinnerware – a set of 4 pieces was $2.50 at my local Salvation Army for being the ticket color of the week
- Glass pedestals – used in a few looks, including my Modern Marbled Jewel Tone Table Decor
- Real seed bead candle pair – $1 each at Goodwill
- Black salad plates – reused from my Modern Marble Tablescape in Gold, Black, and Light Blue
- Pair of black martini glasses – $1 each at Goodwill
- Woven black beaded napkin rings – a set of 4 napkin rings were $2 at my local Boys and Girls Club thrift store
- Bamboo mat place mats – picked up at Bed Bath and Beyond at the beginning of the year for $2.40 each
- Boston fern – had on hand
- Woven grapevine pedestal for fern to sit on – also left on hand from a few earlier tablescapes like this one
This brings us to…..$15.30 for this Jungle for Two inspired table decor. How fantastic is that? It’s amazing what a few key pieces in your inventory can do when strategically paired with some great bargains.
Totally worth it!
As with all of my 2017 tablescape challenge creations, I strongly encourage you to visit your local thrift stores, tag sales, and even estate sales. You’d be surprised at what you can find if you just look and let your imagination run wild.
Be sure to see how this gold and black marbled accent piece was created, you’ll want to see how to upcycle a thrift store vase so the next time you see a vase shape you love, but want it in a room-matching color, you’ll know how it’s done: